2.14.2006

Olympics?

We Don't Need No Stinkin' Olympics!

child's french sock wip

Look ma! A heel! No clue how I did this other than I was motivated by some gorgeous silk in the mail and I don't want to leave a half finished sock hanging. Maybe I'll have a finished sock tonight! Who knows! And to think, I'm not in any team or challenge.

I actually can't believe I've been knitting these since it's mostly ribbing (to be technical it would be moss or seed stitch depending on what row you're on), since I think we all know how much I hate ribbing. It must be that little bit of "lace" thrown in there. These are the 'child's french sock' from
Knitting Vintage Socks, an 1800's Weldon's pattern Nancy Bush updated to fit an average woman's foot. I like the way it feels for the most part, except I think I should have gone down a needle size for the ankles. My ankles are of the skinny/bony persuasion and the sock feels a little loose around the gusset/ankle area...oops. At least the yarn is springy and is keeping mostly everything in place. Rumor has it that there's some sort of yarn gathering this week, if I were going to said gathering I would pick up a skein or two of Tess Designer Yarns. I'm sure she's going to have a huge a booth right in front. Just saying.

The sockpal-watch continues...I think I should have mentioned that my pal is a dude (I wouldn't go on and on about the size of the foot if it was a girl). A dude that would appreciate some cables. I have a loosely-set game plan in my mind: I'll be knitting with sport or dk weight yarn, I'll make up some pattern that will prevent me from going crazy but will also make my pal happy, and it needs to be green or purple or white uhhh I'm not sure yet. It will be some color. Did you
see that some people already finished their socks?! crap

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love these socks and the color is perfect. I actually saw the original version of this sock on Sunday, and it is fabulous. You've been productive.

14/2/06 7:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AUGH!!! They're AWESOME!!!

14/2/06 7:40 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Wow! You've got a lot done!

I will be looking for Tess at the said yarn gathering. I got the hint! ;)

14/2/06 7:57 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Ooo-la-la, that's a gorgeous sock!

14/2/06 8:39 PM  
Blogger caitlyn said...

Wow, I'm impressed! I need to try circs instead of DPNs.

14/2/06 9:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't trip, girl. I haven't even given mine a thought yet. We've got plenty of time. And you go with your turbo-knitting self!

15/2/06 2:29 AM  
Blogger winnie said...

that is such a gorgeous color.. i really need to buy that book. man... i feel so left out..

15/2/06 3:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks great so far! I haven't had the nerve to try socks yet, but I also lean toward the bony ankle persuasion, and have wondered about fit.

15/2/06 5:06 AM  
Blogger Reese said...

You are fast!! Hmm Stitches West eh? I will have to keep an eye out for when that comes to my neighborhood... Supposedly in September or so maybe?

15/2/06 10:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your lacey sox are coming along nicely - love the colour, and you're so disciplined, I'd thrown in the towel ages ago with all that seed/moss stitch!!

xxx

15/2/06 5:22 PM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

My pal is a woman, but she has size 11 feet! Does that count?! I can't believe some people have already finished their sockapaloooza socks too!

Yours look great!

15/2/06 8:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hows that Angelica coming along then? ;)

16/2/06 10:32 AM  
Blogger kris said...

oh my, so pretty! the yarn looks absolutely divine and it's perfect with that pattern. i love the suttle variegation - just the way i like it ;-)

17/2/06 1:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, those socks are AWESOME! I love the texture. And the color is beautiful.

17/2/06 6:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home